TM, Mama Cheryl (MC), Mama Penni (MP) and Papa Ron (PR) love and care for me.
In memory of DC Dora, CH Angus HXAsd, DC Kearney. Lost from our lives way too soon.

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Release the Beast

Lowri - I got to go herding again today.  It was great.  I helped TM separate the sheep into two sets.  It took a LOT of work.  The sheep were not cooperative.  It took TM wrestling them one at a time, me telling the rest not to move, and MC handling the gate to get them separated.  I worked hard.  I got to do several nice outruns as I retrieved the sheep after they busted out.

I got to go to water.  Then MC got Dinah out.  When TM took her into the arena to work, Dinah did not do stellar work.  She mostly wanted to watch TM move them.  After trying to get her to engage, TM looked at MC and said "Release the beast".  That is ME!

MC let me into the arena.  I quickly took control of the situation.  Dinah figured out that I knew what was going on and she fell in with me.  We moved the sheep in tandem.  I remember I got to work with Kearney in the same way.  I think the idea is the older, better trained dog (that's ME) shows the younger, less trained dog (Dinah) how to herd.  TM has been doing this for years.  It has always been very effective.  TM and MC think it will work with Dinah too.

2 comments:

  1. Lowri, you were such a good example to Dinah! And I have the video to prove it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great way for the younger dog to learn. You were good to help, Lowri.

    ReplyDelete