TM, Mama Cheryl (MC), Mama Penni (MP) and Papa Ron (PR) love and care for me.
In memory of DC Dora, CH Angus HXAsd, DC Kearney. Lost from our lives way too soon.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Power Stock Dog

I worked Dinah's sheep for just a minute before she came in.
Lowri - MC came up today to pick up her sheep.  She brought Dinah for a herding lesson.  After Dinah's wild romps with the sheep after escaping her dog yard (MC was at work), we weren't sure how she would behave.  She did a stellar job!  Who knew?!?!  She rated herself, listened to TM and was quite the little herding dog.  She did a very nice job and showed tons of ability.

I had to set out her sheep from the entire flock.  That is quite a chore when you consider that we had mama's with lambs in the field with the ewes Dinah needed to work.  TM help me get them moving (darn that Snowy!) and I got the young ewes separated.  After Dinah worked the young ewes (she even put TM's two out the gate at the end!), I got to come back out to get Snowy and her lambs into the field.  I learned a whole lot about the pressure points of sheep because Snowy whirled on me every time I pushed her just a bit too hard.

We got MC's sheep in the little corral and TM and MC wormed and gave them shots.  Snowy's lambs jumped out of the corral gate while the ewes were being doctored.  I got to come back out and get the lambs and push them back thru the gate to Snowy.   I got to come back again when TM and MC let one of the lambs escape.  Finally, all the sheep weere loaded in MC's trailer.

I got to come back out AGAIN to bring up the wild, young ewes so they could be doctored.  I had to sort them out from the big mamas.  I was AWESOME!  I was so useful to TM.  I was THE stock dog!  TM said I was the BEST girl EVER!  She even told me that when DC Dora was my age, she ran screaming from the field when the big mamas looked at her.  I am going to be an amazing stock dog when I grow up!

No comments:

Post a Comment