TM, Mama Cheryl (MC), Mama Penni (MP) and Papa Ron (PR) love and care for me.
In memory of DC Dora, CH Angus HXAsd, DC Kearney. Lost from our lives way too soon.

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Herding Most Fowl - Foul?

Lowri - I got to herd the CHICKENS today.  I didn't do it very well.  I thought a chicken sandwich sounded really good.  TM wants the chickens to be free-range chickens.  Since they have grown up in a pen, TM put them in the duck arena (she also isn't going to let them run free while Daisy and Aidan can get to them).  I got to help put them there.  Then TM had me drive them around a bit so they would know they have to mind me.  It was great, although I have to say, chickens are pretty stupid.  They don't have any idea that I am a herding dog!

I also got to herd the lambs.  TM is working on my square flanks.  When she tells me to Go Bye or Away, I am supposed to turn 90 degrees and move around the sheep.  That doesn't really work well for me.  It makes no sense to turn away from them.  Going straight at them will get me to that spot much faster.  Unfortunately, TM is adamant that I am supposed to go AROUND.

I didn't get to help TM with the fencing today.  She didn't do any.  It was pretty wet around here, and the rain didn't help.  TM stayed in the barn and cleaned out the bird yard.  All I can say is "yuck".


1 comment:

  1. My sister has chickens and my guys see them as meals on legs! But it amazes me how fast they can run! I'm sure my guys would wear them down if I let them but at the start of the chase the chickens are way out ahead! I don't think there is one iota of herding intent going on, it's all about the meat!

    ReplyDelete