TM, Mama Cheryl (MC), Mama Penni (MP) and Papa Ron (PR) love and care for me.
In memory of DC Dora, CH Angus HXAsd, DC Kearney. Lost from our lives way too soon.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Free-standing Pen

Kearney - TM got to watch a set of videos on doing the free-standing pen with Border Collies and sheep.  She picked up a couple of tips on how to do it.  Now she has translated it to working with Cardigans and ducks.  She has found that it works well.  I got to work with the ducks today.  I drove them around the yard.  TM had me do several fetches clear across the yard.  I am supposed to watch how she is standing to determine which way I am to take the ducks.  It is a lot of fun <G> I am still too pushy, but, I am working on that - or rather, TM is working on that.

Then we got to practice the free-standing pen.  I can put them in pretty easily now.  I think the ducks are recognizing that it is a safe place to be.  Then I bring them out and we fetch them to the imaginary circle and I do a hold.  I did a really good job with that!

Lowri - Then I got to come out and work.  I did a beautiful outrun and messed it up by charging the ducks <G>  I stopped as soon as I was told to (see my halo?).  I drove the ducks around the yard with TM's help.  Then she let me try the free-standing pen!  It is great.  I flank each way and try very hard not to over flank.  Then I ease up and the ducks go right in the pen.  TM shuts the gate and I get LOTS of scritches.  Then TM opened the gate and I got to do the hold in the imaginary circle. 

Afterwards TM had me do a hold at the gate to put the ducks away.  I don't understand that yet.  Sometimes she wants me to block the ducks and sometimes she wants me to circle around them and put them away.  In the meantime, the ducks are trying to get back to their pen.  TM says I am causing a lot of havoc there.  I still get scritches, so I must be doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment