TM, Mama Cheryl (MC), Mama Penni (MP) and Papa Ron (PR) love and care for me.
In memory of DC Dora, CH Angus HXAsd, DC Kearney. Lost from our lives way too soon.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Herding in the Rain

Kearney - We got to herd today, even though it was drizzling.  I got to get the ducks out of the pen as usual.  TM just stood there and watched.  She was impressed that I kept my distance and pressured them just enough to keep them moving.  I brought them straight to the gate.  TM told me I was awesome.  I drove them around the yard, through the obstacles and then to the free-standing pen.  If it sounds like yesterday, it was a lot like that.  TM works with me on my handling and trying to get me to stay back from the ducks.  She changes up the run so it isn't like I am learning a course or anything.  We always run it differently.

The free-standing pen was kind of fun.  I am just about to get the whole idea.  TM wants the ducks IN the pen with very little fuss and muss.  I am figuring that out.    She says I have about 30 days of working ducks between now and Nationals.  That is if I work them every weekday.  She doubts if that will really happen, but it does give me a bit of time to learn what I am supposed to do.

Lowri - TM actually took us out to herd today because she was thinking of how few days we had left to train in.   Because of dog shows and herding trials, I have a little less than Kearney.  I will get a few days of herding sheep to add in, but for me, it is all about the ducks.  I am only entered on ducks at the Nationals. 

I don't have this duck stuff down like Kearney does.  I think his method is... BORING!  I like bouncing so much better <G>  Today, the brown duck did a lot of stopping to rest.  TM let me figure out how to fetch her with the rest.  I got to push on her with my nose.  After I got her moving, I had my mouth open and I was breathing on her tail feathers.  TM cautioned me about taking a taste - like I was going to!  I was just thinking <G>  Over all, TM was pleased with my work.  She still thinks I have a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment